Today I am going to do what it seems like everyone and their mother are doing on Facebook, and I am going to go on a political rant. It just seems like the "in" thing to do. Like starting a blog.
Wow, for once I am in the "in" crowd.
I hate politics. I hate them. I hate, Hate, HATE them! Why? You may ask? Why Jessie? You are so sweet and mild all the time (heh), why would you get so vehement over politics?
Well I will tell you why... (you asked for it)
Politics make people dumb.
The smartest, most reasonable people I know become a bunch of crazy lemmings when it comes to politics. (That is metaphorical lemmings, as I have recently learned that real lemmings do not follow one another off cliffs...apparently I am gullible, but not a lemming).
Politics divide people. Absolutely. If they aren't posts from the RIGHT saying that the Left wants to take everything you earn to pay for women to become super promiscuous (like they wouldn't have sex anyway if they really wanted to, and, Oh, if they didn't want to have sex before, they just have to now because birth control is free), then they are posts from the LEFT saying the Right is starting a war on women (as if the Right is made of only men, or that women couldn't possibly believe that abortion is wrong).
Politics divide. They make people stupid. They make people lemmings.
We know that people aren't one-dimensional. Yet, during election time, suddenly EVERYONE becomes one-dimensional. This person must believe THIS because they said THIS OTHER THING. And two plus two always equals 4 (unless you are trying to add 2 and -2, or 2 apples and 2 termites).
Politics divide, and they make people stupid. OH MY GOODNESS FACEBOOK IS DRIVING ME CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't want you to tell me that I must not respect myself as a woman if I don't vote this way or that way. I am just there to see what is up with you. I want to know about your kids, your friends, your dog. I don't want you to preach to me and tell me what I should believe or who I should side with. I don't need that. Believe it or not, I am capable of making my own choices without knowing what all the other lemmings are doing.
As I write this, I know I am being harsh. I know that I might offend, and I don't mean to hurt. I don't want to make people angry. I contemplated not writing this at all. Then, when I got this far, I thought about deleting it all. Then I remembered.
This is my blog.
This is MY blog.
so there.
I couldn't have said it better - I avoid politics as a rule because people get so ANGRY about it. FB is so driving me crazy, both sides. I'm so right there with you.
ReplyDelete