Saturday, March 30, 2013

Holy Week Day 6


Saturday, March 30th
– Day of Silence 

Jesus in the tomb

Read John 19:38-42

Spend some time imagining what it would be like to be different characters in 
the story. 

What would it be like to be Jesus, lying dead in a tomb for 3 days? 
There are a couple of different takes on this.  Some people say that Jesus (himself, not his body) was elsewhere--In Hell, stealing the keys to Death, Guiding the God-fearing people who died before he did out of Hell and into the Light... And some people just think he was dead, gone.  This last one doesn't make sense to me, because I believe that everyone has an eternal soul.  Where was his?  Was he a ghost, haunting his body and tomb?  I don't know.  I kind of like the story of the Harrowing of Hell, but I like it more as a story, and less as theology.  I just don't think my God would allow people to be sent to Hell, just because they weren't born at the right time.  It just doesn't make sense to me, personally.  I know that some people believe it though, and that's fine.

What about the people who buried him? 
Nicodemus and Joseph of Arimathea.  Wow.  These two were both following Jesus in secret before his death.  They were afraid (like so many others...like us).  But then, something happened.  Something so drastic that they went before the governor to ask for Jesus' body, and then took it (in public--don't think that there weren't still people around)  and went to bury it.  Something happened inside them when Christ died.  Their fear wasn't the biggest thing in their lives anymore.  Something else had taken its place.  Sadly, it was a little late (not too late, because they still had an important role to play).

I guess, regardless of how late you enter the game, God can use you.  But just think about what God can do with you, if you enter the game before the last few minutes?  Anything!

What about the disciples who are waiting and wondering if he is going to come back to life?
Man!  Over and over I am reminded about fear in this story.  Fear.  It is understandable.  I mean, the one they have been following for 3 years is dead.  Dead.  They gave up everything to follow him, and now he is gone.  Not just gone, but taken and killed by their leaders.  What if they were next?  What if they decide that killing Jesus wasn't enough.  They want to believe, but fear gets in the way of belief.

I can't help but think about Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.  Indie had to walk across an invisible bridge in order to get to the Holy Grail.  Honestly, that part freaks me out every time (even though it is remarkably cheesy).  I am afraid of heights, and honestly, I don't know if I could do it.  Even if it was a glass bridge that I could see, I don't think I could do it.  Maybe if I crawled, very slowly, across... but probably not...  Faith that is bigger than Fear... that is hard to find, hard to muster, hard....  And sadly, the disciples couldn't find it. Do I blame them.  No.  Not at all.  But just like before, maybe there was more God could have done with them if they were ready to move right away.  Maybe...

But despite their fear, God still had a plan, and nothing gets in the way of God's plan.

I believe.

Try to cut out extra noise today. Avoid watching TV, listening to music, being on 
the Internet. Just go about your activities slowly and quietly.

I have failed at this already, and if you are reading this on Saturday, the 30th of March, 2013, so did you... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment