Thursday, March 28, 2013

Holy Week Part 4


Thursday, March 28th
– Last Supper 

Jesus eats with his disciples 
Ok, this one seems difficult to do with my many readers, because, 1) I don't have many readers and 2) We will have to wash each other's feet virtually... which means--we can't really... but we could imagine!

Read John 13:1-17 & Mark 14:12-26

Jesus eats with the disciples one last time before his death. He takes the time 
to wash their feet, and offer them the cup and bread.

Try washing each other’s feet. What does it feel like to wash someone’s feet? 
I am probably totally sacrilegious here, but I think it would be totally weird.  Let me try to explain some.  Weird is such an un-specific word.  Have you ever laid on the floor on your back while someone stood over you looking down on you?  You are in a very vulnerable place.  You are ON THE FLOOR, and their feet are RIGHT THERE, ready to squish you perhaps...You are placing yourself in a place of subservience to the other person.  You are, in effect, placing them above you.  And then, even beyond that, you are then WASHING THEIR DIRTY STINKING FEET!  I am reminded of a line from The Beautician and the Beast here: "I've given pedicures to women who wore plastic shoes in summer... what could be a tougher gig than that?"

Don't get me wrong, I am not one of those people who think that feet are inherently gross, but I do believe they could be (STINKY!) and I do think that when you add the "being on the floor with someone over you" piece with the "washing stinking feet"  bit, I think you get more than just two.  When you add together "elevating OTHER more than Self" and "serve others even when it is stinky" I think it becomes more than just weird.  It might just become divine. 
To have yours washed?
For some the first part may be the hardest, and for others, it would be this part.  I have no doubt that Peter would have washed Jesus' feet in a heartbeat, but to have his washed, by Jesus, was just a little too far out of his comfort zone.  Why?  Pride quite often makes us MORE than willing to have this done.  Pride quite often brings us to the place where we feel we DESERVE it.  Yes, you should wash my feet.  I wonder if people who feel uncomfortable being the washee, and the people who feel uncomfortable being the washer, might have more in common than they think.

Having your feet washed...having someone kneel in front of you, hold your dirty stinking feet in their hand, and wash away the dirt, the sweat, the stink...it puts us in a vulnerable place.  It means we are allowing that we don't have all the answers, and that maybe, just maybe, they might be able to wash a little of the grime away.  It gives the other power over our grossness, our stink.  And although it doesn't feel that way to the washer, it really does to the washee.

This act of foot washing is amazing!  It places both participants in a similar state of understanding.  We understand that although I think I could do this alone, life is so much more full, when we allow OTHERS in, to help us clear out the gunk, and to help clear out their gunk.  Our lives were meant to be lived in service to one another, and it is in this action, that Christ encouraged us to do, that helps make this truth evident.

Just some of my thoughts....
any others?

Prepare a simple meal of bread and juice. Try reading the story while you eat, 
and offering a few moments of silent remembrance.

Queries:
Why did Jesus wash the disciples feet?

Why is the last supper so special?

No comments:

Post a Comment