Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Chapter 6: on Sacrifice

Mother Teresa, here, is talking about how one of the foundations of Christianity is sacrifice.  First the Jewish people sacrificed animals to atone for their sins, then Jesus offered himself up as the final, living, sacrifice.  After that time, we must continue to give because love, as she said, must cost, must hurt, must empty ourselves of self in order to be real love.  She also says: "The words of Jesus, 'Love one another as I have loved you,' must be not only a light for us, but a flame that consumes the self in us."

I think I can say, with all honesty, that I don't think I have ever lived out the idea of sacrifice that she has (it must hurt--must empty us of self) until I became a parent.  I know, even to me this sounds cliche.  It may be, but it is also true.

I am tired...exhausted...frustrated...
and yet
I still get up every two to three hours to feed my baby.
I cry I am so tired
but I do it
and I only begrudge her a little...until I watch her sleepy face eat as her body curls up into a little ball on my lap, and I still cry from exhaustion, but also from love.

Man, and what strength of faith and character must Mother Teresa have had to go out of her way to serve as she did.  Because honestly, if she weren't so helpless, I think I would probably stay in bed and let V. fend for herself at this point.

That is all just to say that WILLING and JOYFUL sacrifice, I am still working on...

No comments:

Post a Comment